How to Prepare Prince Edward Island Mussels
How to Prepare Prince Edward Island Mussels – Written Instructions
The total cooking & plating time for this item is about 12 minutes. You can download a printable version of these instructions using the link at the bottom of the page.
- Place mussels and butter in refrigerator until ready to serve, however leave mussels in their mesh bag and do not cover them. This is a live product and will die if covered and blocking their air-flow.
- When ready to cook mussels remove from bag and place in colander in sink.
- Carefully examine mussels look for their beards, a sandy cluster sometimes found on the joint of the mussels. Remove these by pulling and sliding around the mussel. (Please check out www.mainelobsterpotpie .com for video demo instructions.) Not every mussels has a beard so once all have been removed you are ready to start cooking.
- Place all of the compound butter in a large sauté pan or small pot (at least seven inches in diameter) over medium heat on stovetop.
- As butter begins to melt add all of the de-bearded mussels.
- Pour in ½ cup of white wine, beer, or water.
- Place lid on top of pot and turn burner to high, let steam for 7 minutes.
- Remove lid carefully and check to see if all mussels have opened, if not cook for another 3-4 minutes or until all or the majority of mussel shells have opened.
- Slice bread into wedges and toast or grill bread on stovetop or in toaster oven.
- Pour the mussels and all of their juice in large serving bowl and top with grilled bread.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Please check out our Prince Edward Island Mussels cooking and preparation video instructions here.
- Note: Mussels are highly perishable and should be consumed within two days of delivery.However, you can cook the mussels and remove them from their shells, reserving them in their cooking juice. They can be frozen for up to one month. The mussels can then be thawed under refrigeration overnight and used in pasta dishes or added to a favorite seafood stew.
Print Version – P.E.I. Mussels Cooking Instructions
Requires Adobe Acrobat